Saturday, July 7, 2007

I'm Gonna Write You a Letter

You know what bugs me?

The Homo Acronym Phenomenon. We'll call it HAP. Heh.

So, in order to be inclusive (or exclusive, depending on who you ask) at some point in history, a little ol' acronym of LGBT was created. It stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender but even this is controversial, as it is sometimes listed as GLBT (when the boys want to go first).


Now, the best part is that this little acronym has now morphed into a full-on attack of letters. At its "most inclusive" (really?) is can stretch all the way to LGBTTTIQQAA, which stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Transexual, Two-Spirited, Intersex, Queer, Questioning, Asexual and Allies.

Do not get me started on Asexuality as a legitimate sexual orientation. Seriously.

Also great about the acronym game is the fact that it changes based on who you ask, so a Q to one person may mean queer but to another means questioning. Wikipedia argues that people in Minnesota prefer the GLBT as opposed to the LGBT, but I'm not sure of the basis.

Now, all of this ranting is obviously going to come of as being "intolerant" (we'll get to my hatred of the term "tolerance" at another time, I think I've used up my tangent quota for the day) or not inclusive enough of every member of this here queer community but really its just an annoyance of the extreme-ness that inclusiveness has come to. I genuinely want everyone to feel welcome, but Jesus H. Are you being serious with the fucking 11 letter label?

The absolute IRONY of the whole thing is that the very people that "we" are working to include in this ridiculous label don't even want the inclusion. From my understanding (which is not first-hand, so quit fucking asking), trans-people don't necessarily feel as though their cause is the same as that of the lezzies and gays (and the damn Bisexuals too, fuck!). So it seems pretty funny to me that all this work is being done to include those that don't want to be a part.

Of course, I don't mean that we shouldn't all work together and hold hands and love and support and sing Kumbaya. Seriously. In the greater "Queer" community, I certainly believe that we should support as much as possible, whenever possible. But I KNOW that problems within the community are not being solved by adding another fucking letter to an already-ridiculous group of letters.

So quit correcting me when I say LGBT. Just call me old school if it helps you sleep at night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha. Virtual high five to you.

I'm even further confused, because I thought the point of queer was to include everyone who didn't fall under the other categories.

Katie said...

You know how you went through that phase where you would type a billion letters at the end of something as your name and then would be like, pronounced "Pete" ? So like

Bye!
Love,
woeiruoweirwoeiuriwoeuwieurow (pronounced: matt)

I think that's what we should do with the acronym incident. So like, SURE, the LGBTTTIQQAA, but it's really pronounced "Betty." Or Maybe "Snorkle."

ChangeAgent said...

i definately vote for snorkle