Monday, May 26, 2008

Inaugural B&G Review: Keys Cafe, Downtown St. Paul

At the request of my millions of fans (read: Wanda), I have decided to introduce a feature to the blog that explores the wonders of one particular food group ("group" being used extremely liberally) that I believe I have enough knowledge to be touted as an expert on:

Biscuits and Gravy.

Growing up, one of the best parts about going to my grandma's house was her uncanny ability to create the best sausage biscuits and gravy that have ever been eaten on this planet. Since childhood, I'd say biscuits and gravy have always been at least on the Top 5 Delicious Eats list.

I pretty much ALWAYS order them at restaurants, and with breakfast being my favorite restaurant meal, I'd say I eat biscuits and gravy quite a bit more often than the regular human. Not to mention, most of my friends are vegetarians, which distinctly limits your B&G options.

So, this weekend I had 'em at Keys Cafe in Downtown St. Paul. I should note that I usually find Keys to be somewhat overrated. So, while the B&G were okay and totally not disgusting, they certainly weren't something to write home to grandma about. As is often the problem, the gravy was too thick and the biscuit was too dry. Additionally, while there was sausage in the gravy, there were no sausage patties just for eating. Also, I had to order my eggs on the side, so in all the breakfast was probably around 11 dollars and included: 2 biscuits covered in gravy, 2 eggs over easy, and hashbrowns. Adding to that the fact that the biscuits were too dense and dry and the gravy was sort of goupy and too thick, you can see that while Key's may have delicious hashbrowns, the overall experience was lacking.

In the future, I'll have pictures of the delicious-ness/disgusting-osity so you can see what I started with.

1 comment:

byrneme said...

obviously I am interested in this experiment.